Thursday, January 22, 2009

Afterschool program

Today we found out that my teaching team is going to be teaching on Thurs and Fridays. We also found out that we're going to be doing the Salvation Army afterschool program. For that we will be doing tutoring, leading a club, and helping with kids cafe every Wed and every other Thurs. Then every other Friday, we will be helping with Teen night. I'm sure that tutoring and leading a club are pretty self explanatory, but I'll explain more about kids cafe and teen night. Kids cafe is a safe place for youth to have dinner and spend early evenings with trusted adults (I am considered an adult in this situation). For this, we have dinner family style, were an adult sits at either end of the table, and then there are about 6 youth eating at the table with us. We're supposed to set a good example for them, and just talk to them and get to know them. I'm pretty excited about that. Then Friday night is teen night, where the Salvation Army hosts a safe place for teens to hang out at night. There they are able to hang out and have fun with friends while not getting into trouble. Some weeks they have a dance, other nights they do other fun things that I haven't been told about. We're going to be learning more about this next week when we go through the training for it. My group and I have finished finializing out syllabus for the nine weeks we'll be teaching. I'm really proud of this, since none of us had ever done this before. It also gave us the freedom to change things within the syllabus if we wanted to, but we didn't really. Just created goals and objectives for each lesson.

No comments: